Now a World Sailing Class!
The 23' Sonar one-design keelboat is a high-performance racer and also a comfortable daysailor just right for getting the entire family or friends on the water together. It was designed by Bruce Kirby and almost 700 boats have been built since 1980. The Sonar has recently achieved status as an International Class.
One Design Fleet Racing
The Sonar is deal for all types of sailing training and competitive racing. With its sparkling performance, it has been selected by leading yacht clubs and public sailing programs as their preferred keelboat. A large number of new Sonars are being delivered to the Newport USA area during the spring 2015.
Paralympic Keelboat Since 1996
The Sonar became the first choice for the Paralympics sailing programme and will be used in the Rio Paralympic Games in 2016. It is an ISAF Recognised Class, with fleets in many countries around the world.
Worldwide Class Association
The class is supported by a strong Class Association and an active racing programme. Sonar is the choice of leading yacht clubs for their sail training and racing programs.
Stability, Comfort, Speed & Easy Sailing!
- Sparkling Performance
- Self draining cockpit
- Deep keel for stability
- Deep rudder for control in all weather
- 75% fractional rig, Dacron Sails
- Slipway Launch
- Easy launch, easy tow, easy trailed
- All the family can sail and race
- Ideal for sail and race training
- Low maintenance
- Easily adaptable for all disabled sailors
- Sail and storage bow cuddy
- Race competitively with three or four crew.
- The Sonar surfs and planes readily downwind.
- Well-balanced, inboard rudder.
- Faster than a J/24 in windy conditions.
- Strict one-design rules.
- Clean and uncluttered cockpit.
- Small jib can be handled by nearly any size crew member.
- Single jib, main, and spinnaker.
- 7'10" beam for easy trailering.
- 11'6" cockpit seats 8 comfortably.
- Full-length molded bench seats with angled backs.
- Self-bailing cockpit.
- Lockable cuddy under the foredeck holds gear, or an outboard motor, even a small Porta Potti.
- 900 lb. keel keeps the boat stable and dry.
Want to know more about the Sonar?